Dax had a short notice business trip to California, and since he was flying out of Seattle the kids and I decided to tag along and hang out with my sister Krystal for a few days while he was gone. We left Sunday in the early afternoon. We hit snow on Snoqualmie Pass. Boo for snow in April. We got to my sister's apartment and got to hang out for a few hours before Dax needed to go to his hotel. He flew out so early the next day that he needed to stay next to the airport.
We spent 3 long nights without Dax. I realized that when Dax is gone it is probably easier for me to be at home, just because to me home is Dax and our physical home. Take away both and I start to feel kinda homesick. :) Not so terribly that I won't go anywhere though.
Monday we hung out in the morning and then went to the beach/park in the early afternoon. I couldn't believe how narrow and steep the streets were leading down to this beach/park area! I am used to wide flat roads where I come from. The kids loved it, and were sad we couldn't go back again and again. We had a huge sand mess on our hands, but I am wishing I had captured on film Hayden dumping a pail of wet sand on Kyra's head after she knocked over his sand castle. Hilarious now, but not so much at the time.
Tuesday Ethen woke up a really sick boy: goopy pink eyes, runny nose, the works. We decided not to waste a day in Seattle so I ventured out with my 3 kids ALONE. We went to a toddler gym. It was not what I was expecting, but the kids had a good time anyway. Hayden is probably getting a little big for places like this, but I suppose when you live in Seattle and it is wet and need a place for your kid to run around, this works. After we spent a couple of hours at the gym and the adjacent park outside the rec center I told the kids I would take them to get chicken nuggets and french fries. There was a McDonald's on the way so I figured we would go in and kill some time in there, since Ethen was sick and the only option at the house would be watching movies. What I didn't realize was lone Mom in Seattle with 3 kids at McDonald's=bad idea. We ordered and sat down. As I looked around I saw a man and a woman walk in and sit in the corner who completely high. They came in for a place to 'rest it off'' I suppose. Sitting behind me (and straight across from the kids, because they were on the opposite side of the table from me) were 3 big guys with foul language and a nasty demeanor. I just kept praying that my kids wouldn't say something about them that they would hear. Fortunately my kids were pretty consumed with their food. I went back to my sister's pretty scarred, and vowed never to go to a place like that in Seattle alone!
Wednesday we went to the aquarium. Originally I didn't think we would because I didn't want to spend $35 between Hayden and I to go, but it was rainy that day so the beach was out (plus I didn't want even more sand to deal with as we needed to pick up Dax this night). Krystal and her GPS navigated me through downtown Seattle. Did I mention I hate driving in crazy traffic?! The aquarium was worth the cost, and while I feel bad that it was not as pleasant for Krystal with Ethen (who wanted to run free), I am glad we went. We got back to Krystal's in time to get packed up, have dinner, and leave to get Dax at the airport. I am not a huge fan of driving in the dark on roads that I AM familiar with, so I was not looking forward to driving to the airport on busy roads that I don't know, but we had a prayer and got there safe and sound. It was so good to see Dax!
Krystal is such a good hostess, making gourmet dinners like tilapia and curry sauce and fajitas using prime steak, and accommodating us in any way she can. So glad we got a taste of her life in Seattle. We loved to see her family and explore Seattle. I was convinced of Seattle's beauty, but I was excited to get back to the wide open spaces of the Columbia Basin.

0 comments:
Post a Comment