The elevation of Flagstaff is about 7000 feet. I don't always realize how much things change when you are at that kind of altitude. Rexburg is almost 5000 I think, so I didn't think an extra 2000 feet would mean too much. My thoughts on high altitude:
The Positives:
-Water boils in like 3 minutes
-Your body's ability to use oxygen increases (over time)
-We are up in the mountains
The Negatives:
-Cooking time/temperature is a guessing game, unless you have instructions for high altitude (I didn't realize this when making angel food cake...let's just say I started a fire in the oven and it was a mess to clean up). It doesn't help that the instructions for high altitude are in size 4 font on the box
-Running is a lot harder (especially lugging around 40 extra lbs between baby and stroller)
-the UV index is high or extremely high every day (meaning even on a 70 degree day you need SPF 45)
Side Note:
Our friend Josh Rohatinsky is running in the USA track and field nationals in the 10K on June 25th. Good luck Josh! He is a runner for Nike, and we actually met the Rohatinsky's here because Josh was doing high altitude training. He is an AMAZING runner. If you don't believe me, just google him. :)
Summertime
1 year ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment