Monday, May 11, 2015

First Broken Bone

We got a trampoline the week before our first broken bone.  I expected the accident to happen ON the trampoline, not falling off the couch 2 feet from the ground.  We had the missionaries over for dinner and the girls were finished and playing in the front room.  Out of no where comes a terrible scream from Taylee and Dax runs to see what happened.  From the front room he yells that I better come check it out.  Sure enough, Taylee's forearm was really crooked when I walked into the room.  We scooped up the kids and dropped them off at my brother's house before taking Taylee to the ER.  She broke clear through the ulna and radius and the bones were pretty overlapped. 

I guess they don't have an orthopedic surgeon on call at all times because there are only 3 in town, so they told us we would need to go to Wenatchee to get it checked out (she had a cut on the outside that they weren't sure was from the bone poking it or not so they have to have an ortho doctor check it out).  I definitely wasn't driving an hour and a half one way at 8 o'clock at night to get her arm checked out, so I told them I was pretty sure I could get one of the surgeons to the hospital...one of our friends in the ward is one of them, luckily!

He graciously came in and checked it out and then set it.  My friend Christina his wife even came with him for moral support (she technically came to take my kids because she thought I had all of them there).

We had a soft cast and then 2 hard casts over the course of a month, so we had lots of appointments and x-rays in that time.  Her arm is still crooked, but we are assured that it will straighten out eventually and we won't know the difference.  For now we refer to that as her crooked arm.  Luckily she broke her right arm, because she is my only lefty thus far!

 Coming out from the drugs they gave her so they could set the bone.  Her first comment to me, "Mom you getting lots of eyes!"
 Her first cast was just a wrap over her splint.  It was FAT.


The day the cast came off!  She had a few bruises from points where the cast was poking her (poor girl).
 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man this is way too familiar! So sorry that happened. Poor girl! Hunter's comment all the way to the ER, in between the crying, was "my precious arm, my poor precious arm!" We later referred to it as a swan neck.