Saturday, May 30, 2015

New Addition!

Pryor Jax Wells
May 26th, 2015, 4:38 PM
8 lbs 12 oz, 20 inches long

After weeks of anxious waiting, our baby boy joined our family!  Taylee, Hayden, and I got a nasty infection starting about the 15th and while the kids were sick for a week and then started to get better, I just seemed to be getting worse.  At my doctor appointment on Friday the 22nd I finally succumbed to an antibiotic to help me get over it.  I had a feeling that my labor wasn't going to start until I got better.  My mother graciously took the kids the entire weekend so I was able to rest and recover as much as possible.  

Sunday I started feeling severe cramps and thought I might be headed to the hospital, but after a few hours they went away.  The same thing happened Monday night.  I ended up on the couch most nights because of discomfort over the last few weeks, and when I heard Dax in the kitchen getting ready to leave for work on Tuesday morning at 5:30 I got up off the couch to go to the bathroom and felt like my water broke.

I was a little worried at first, because in the past they usually break my water when I am 7 cm dilated and then I have a baby in my arms in 20 minutes.  I had 2 contractions and then nothing happened so I sent Dax to work and told him I would let him know when he needed to come home.  I felt somewhat crampy, and was still a little worried about something happening quickly because of my previous experience, so at 7:30 I told Dax to come home and we dropped off the girls with Dax's sister.  We went for a walk to see if it would help anything, but nothing happened.  I called the midwife to come in and get checked to see if my water really had broken, and we went there at 10:45.  I was supposed to be called with my results an hour later, and when they called they said that either the lab or the hospital didn't get to it soon enough so they didn't run the test.  Needless to say I was frustrated.  How does a woman come in with potentially ruptured membranes and you drop the ball on getting the test done??  They said I could come in at 1:30 for a retest or go to the hospital and get it done.  I didn't want to go to the hospital before I had to, so I scheduled a retest.  At 12:30 I sent Dax back to work and told him I would let him know the results of the test, since it didn't appear I was going into labor.

At 1 I had my first contraction.  After the 2nd one 15 minutes later I told Dax he better come home.  I had one more contraction before we got to the hospital .  They checked me and I was 6 cm so we stayed.  I get really frustrated with all of the questions they ask, all of the paperwork they want you to sign (even when you pre-register!), drawing blood, and trying to start an IV.  I do well with contractions if I am left alone and can focus myself.  I even asked a nurse if they could do all of that afterward, and she said, "No, we can't treat you unless we do this."  I asked another nurse later what would happen if I came in ready to push and she said, "We would just take care of this later."  Apparently the pains don't matter unless you are pushing!

After they finished everything and left us alone my midwife came in and checked me.  I was 9 1/2 cm, with a little lip of cervix over the baby's head.  I was having a ton of rectal pressure with each contraction, it was really uncomfortable.  They set everything up and my midwife told me I could push with the next contraction, which I thought seemed weird because I didn't have the overwhelming urge to push like I did with the others.  I just had a ton of rectal pressure.  Someone made a joke which I don't remember, but I remember Dax snapping a picture of me laughing.  I pushed a little bit the next contraction and really began feeling the pain.  I pushed the next contraction and looked at the clock.  It was 4:33.  I asked if he would be born before 4:45 and the midwife looked at the clock and said perhaps.  At the next contraction I pushed his head out and then they quickly laid the bed down.  They said they didn't know if his shoulders would come through easily.  Dax told me the midwife stuck her hands inside me to help rotate his shoulders and pull his body out. Either way, I was feeling the pain.

When the midwife pulled him out she said, "He's a big one, he has got to be nearly 9 lbs!"  He was close.  8 lb 12 oz, and he had beautiful dark hair and blue eyes.  He nursed well right away.  We had to stay in the hospital 2 nights because I was GBS+, and were so glad to get home and recover from it all. He is such a sweet blessing.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I am like 5 months late, but congratulations! He is a very handsome boy!