Monday, July 20, 2009

The Incredible Gifts of Women



My Mother let me borrow this book when they came down to visit. I am most of the way done with it, and I HIGHLY recommend it. It is seriously one of the best books I have read. Every single page makes me want to become a better person, but doesn't make me feel bad about where I'm at. The book talks about 12 gifts that women have been given, and how to enhance them and better ourselves. There is a chapter on the gift of joy, humor, trials, self-worth, etc. There is even a chapter on the gift of refinement in appearance, and she talks about makeup, skincare, and other basic ways to take care of yourself physically. She said that most women just don't want to put in the effort to make themselves look good unless it is a special occasion. However, so often the way we look translates into how we feel about ourselves. I can definitely relate to this, as I am at home all day and don't know many people here so I don't get out much and don't do much with myself. When I don't put on any makeup or get dressed for the day I don't feel as good about myself. Basically, when I look like trash I feel like trash. Anyway, she talks about how you can look refined without spending a lot of money, it just takes a little effort, but it is worth it. The author is Barbara Barrington Jones. All you women out there, go and get this book to read, you'll love it.

2 comments:

Chelsea and Ben said...

Thanks for the reference, I love those kinds of books! Have you read "Fascinating Womanhood"? It's kinda old, but still pretty good. Anyways, yes we made our blog private, sorry I didn't warn anyone! Send Ben whatever e-mail you log in with so I can invite you! Hope everything is going good! How's Flagstaff?

Paloma said...

Thanks for the book review. I've been looking for a good book to read and this one sounds perfect!
:)
PS your little boy is so adorable!