Maybe the fact that Hayden started sleeping through the night is coming back to bite me, maybe Hayden is just going through some weird phase, or maybe I'm doing something wrong as a parent. Either way, I have not slept worse than I have the past 2 nights, and that includes when Hayden was a newborn.
Two nights ago Hayden fell asleep with Aunt Krystal at 6:30 PM for half an hour. Ok, I can see him staying up later because he wasn't as tired, but not only would he not go to sleep, he would NOT sleep in his own crib. We are talking that no matter how asleep he was, he would wake enough to realize he was in his crib and start screaming and crying extremely loud. After letting him "cry it out" for 30 minutes, we finally stuck him in bed with us, because otherwise I would have had to sleep with him in my arms in the rocking chair all night. Hayden moves around a ton in his sleep as well, so it was not a pleasant night for any of us, and Hayden woke up bright and early after only 6 hours of sleep for him (more like 4 for Dax and I).
Last night I got him to sleep and put him in his crib, unfortunately not until almost 10 PM, but at least there wasn't screaming involved. Then he woke up screaming at 1 AM and we had the same problem. He made sure he wouldn't fall asleep enough to be put in his crib. Finally he got in bed with us again, which resulted in the same horrible night as the one before. He woke up before 6 again this morning as well, and I haven't been able to get him to go back to sleep.
WHAT IS THE DEAL? I know he isn't getting too much sleep, he only sleeps for 2 hours during the day for 1 nap, and at night he sleeps 10-11 hours (when he is sleeping that is). Last week he wouldn't go to nursery either, they brought him to us after 25 minutes because he wouldn't stop crying. He has NEVER not wanted to go to nursery. I left him with my sister to do my glucose test last week, and he cried and cried until he finally fell asleep. We left him with my sister again (too afraid of how he would respond to someone he doesn't know as well) on Friday evening and he cried again until he fell asleep. She even brought pizza, a movie, and treats!
Please tell me he is just going through separation anxiety a little later than some other children (he has never been through it before) and that this will be over soon and he will adjust normally. From all I've learned in school and recently read it doesn't seem too unnatural. It just seems weird that it came on so suddenly and so intensely.
On the positive side, over the last 2 weeks he has not rejected any food I've given him (besides a cookie, but I am definitely ok with that). :)
Summertime
1 year ago

4 comments:
I wish I had some useful information and advice to give you but I don't. Maybe he is starting to sense that there will be another baby coming and that is the way he is responding. But really I don't know what to tell you. Hopefully it is just a phase and you will be back to your normal routine soon. Good luck!
Maxten has done this time and again. Sometimes I have to change his schedule little. I don't wait for him to wake up I wake him up earlier so he is tired earlier and it seem to work. Then he changes back to his normal routine all by himself. Maxten was having a hard time going to sleep in his crib for a little bit and just talking to him I found out that he just wanted the door opened or a toy that he wanted. I know that they can't talk very well at this stage but that was what I got out of him and it worked. Just some ideas.
hhhmmm, thats tricky. Maybe try something new, like a new toy that he gets when he goes in his crib, Or a sippy cup with water. keep talking to him about going in his crib, to sleep. I would be careful about letting him sleep in your bed, because he'll get used to that real fast. I know it is so hard to tough it out when they get upset, Natalie went through a crazy sleep stage at the same age. If you do decide to let him cry it out, sit on your doorstep outside, where you can still hear him a little, but its not so loud that it drives you nuts and makes you want to cry too! And then dont give in --- Crying it out only works if it's All or Nothing!Good luck!
Kensi did this exact same thing when I was expecting Bronson. I have absolutely NO clue how babies know, but I SWEAR they know you are going to have another baby and they are trying to get in their last bit of quality time with you before the baby is born. It didn't last the entire pregnancy but it did happen a few times. Good luck, you are not a bad parent!!! You're a good parent, that's why he always wants to be with you:) I let Kensi sleep with us a few times, and other times I'd just let her cry. I don't really know any secrets but it will stop!
Post a Comment