Saturday, September 25, 2010

Adjusting to 2

We are still alive...although sometimes I feel like we are just barely hanging on. :) We love having Kyra and she is so sweet. Despite the lack of sleep I love this stage in a baby's life. The really hard thing we are struggling with right now is helping Hayden adjust to life with a baby sister. I couldn't have imagined how hard it would be on him. I guess when you have mom and dad to yourself for nearly 2 years and then all of a sudden a little squishy thing comes in and steals your time it has got to throw your world upside-down. Hayden has always been such a sweetheart, so it has been hard having him act out in ways that I never had to deal with before. Telling him NOT to do something is just fuel to his fire to make him want to do it...whether it is taking things out of the fridge (how do you keep them out??), trying to pick up Kyra, throwing things, slamming the door, etc. I'm hoping that this phase goes by quickly because either my house will fall apart soon or I will. He still can be so sweet, but those times are getting to be the exception instead of the rule.

Once upon a time I wondered how it was possible for a house to be entirely messy and have every dish be dirty and in the sink...I no longer wonder. The days fly past me and before I know it the kids are asleep, it is 10 PM, and the last thing I'm thinking about is cleaning up. Lucky for me Dax has been extra helpful so at least our house has some semblance of a floor, and only just a hint of order. A season to everything I suppose. I am just trying to enjoy this time, because I am sure before I know it we will be in the next phase of life.









I've tried to stay out of pictures lately because to be honest there are days that I don't get out of pajamas or sweatpants, to say the least of thinking about washing my face and applying makeup. However, Dax and I went to dinner with a company the other day so I decided I should snag a picture with Kyra while I looked somewhat decent. It also just happened to be 3 weeks to the day since she was born.

8 comments:

RileyDestry said...

I can't get over how much Kyra and Hayden look alike. No doubt their siblings!

Anonymous said...

You look great! Kyra is darling! And...there is nothing wrong with the dishes piling up. For example today I can't think of what I did other than 6 loads of laundry (not folded and put away mind you just washed and dried) but I was BUSY all day and didn't get to sit down until the RS broadcast. I don't know if that helps the situation knowing that I haven't gotten it together with 3 yet but I think I have just come to realize that my kids are still young and very dependent on me so the dishes can WAIT!!!

Kari said...

She is beautiful! So much hair, it's cute! Things I am sure will get better. You can do it!

Samantha said...

You look stunning Jen! Kyra has a ton of hair, that will be so fun to do later! I'm sure Hayden will adjust soon. Sounds like Dax is sure a life saver right now...that's awesome!!

The Walker Family said...

What a cutie! I see some Wells/Taylor in there! And all that dark hair-- its gorgeous! And dont worry about your house, just enjoy your new baby! Thats what i have to tell myself, otherwise i get depressed when i think about how long it took for me to clean up, and how it seems like 73 seconds later, its a total pig stye.

The Roylances said...

I sympathize with you. I love reading your blog and finding out that someone else is going through the same things I am. It gives me strength that I can do it. Adjusting to 2 is a big adjustment. There are definitely hard days. I find that I just need to have a better sense of humor about the things Addie does. It helps lighten the load. Kyra is a doll and you look beautiful.

I've been wanting to get your guys mailing address. Do you think you could send me an email with it?
tsroylance@gmail.com

Mak Attack said...

Sariah says, "I wish I could hold her." Me too.

ellsworth family said...

Congrats! She is beautiful.