
Name: Kyra Renee Wells
Born: September 2, 2010
Time: 1:00 PM
Stats: 7 lbs 5 oz, 19 1/2 inches
Our BEAUTIFUL little girl decided to join our family on Thursday! I woke up in the morning with contractions, but nothing very intense. After an hour I told Dax today might be the day, so just in case we got things ready. At 9 I still didn't know if I was in labor so Hayden and I walked Dax to school, and I told him that I'd call him if I decided it was the real thing (he loaded our things in the car just in case). I came home and went walking with my sister, but half a mile from home I decided we should head back and call Dax. I called him and told him we should go get checked out and then at least I would know either way. I wanted to know if it was real labor soon because Dax had an interview scheduled for 3 o'clock in Salt Lake, and my mom was scheduled to fly in that day, but wasn't going to come if I hadn't had the baby. So I left my sister Krystal with Hayden and went and picked Dax up from school. My contractions were getting more intense, but I was still worried about being sent home with false labor.
We got to the hospital a little after 11. When I walked up to the nurses' station there were 6 nurses sitting there, and one said, "How can I help you?" I told her that I thought I was in labor, and there was dead silence as all of the nurses just sat and looked at one another for a second, as if hoping someone would say, "Are you sure?" However, they took me into a room and the nurse checked me and I was dilated to a 5, but because I still hadn't had a really painful contraction they said they may have to call my doctor and just monitor me for a while. In the meantime the nurse tried to find a vein to start an IV, with no luck for 10 minutes. She finally called in another nurse who is really good at starting IVs, and she didn't have any luck either. They each left me with a sore arm and bruises. I asked them if I could just go without the IV, since I am not a big needle fan in the first place, and it was obviously not working out. They decided to call in the anesthesiologist to get an IV going on me. He was nice enough to give me a shot in the arm before he put the needle in, after seeing the result of the other 2 attempts. He got the IV in, but left me with a nasty bruise. He offered to give me an epidural, and I said, "Look at my arms. I don't need someone like you fishing around in my back too." I then realized that was probably the wrong thing to say, and said I knew that he did really good work and I appreciated him getting the IV started for me. I hope I didn't hurt his feelings.
The nurse decided to check me again, that way she would know exactly what to do with me. When she checked me I was 8 cm dilated, which surprised all of us. She called my doctor, and we waited the 20 minutes for him arrive and break my water. He told me he'd stick around until I delivered, just to send for him when I felt I needed to push. 2 contractions later I needed to push, but they made me wait for 2 contractions until they could get the doctor in there. Two contractions (and the pushes with them) and she was here! It really only felt unbearable for the last 6 contractions. I felt totally in control until then. Deep breathing was definitely my go-to coping mechanism. Don't ask how loud I was screaming for the last minute though. For a split second while I was pushing I thought, "I wonder how far down the hall they can hear this."
When I first saw her I couldn't believe how much black hair she has! Everything is going well so far. Hayden didn't have any interest in her at the hospital, but has taken to her since we came home. After seeing Hayden run around the hospital room I remember how much I love the tiny stage, when you can hold and cuddle them all day long. :)
A couple of hours before going to the hospital
The IV bruise

Soon after coming home
Family of 4!
Getting cleaned up
Right after she was born

Summertime
1 year ago

10 comments:
Congrats guys! She is so precious and I am loving all that dark hair. Kyla had tons of dark hair and our boys were so bald, crazy how they can be so different. Sounds like things went fast and good thing with no epidural. Your story sounds very similar to mine the second go around without the epidural and being in control until well that last little scream but oh well:) Chad still makes fun of me about that. If only he could try it but he will never know:) You look great by the way before and after! So happy for you guys!
No way! So I just sent you an e mail before looking at your blog so you will have to ignore it. :) She is so so Adorable Jen!! I love her name and all of that hair. You truly are amazing doing labor and delivery all natural. It sounds like this time was a lot easier than with Hayden :) Glad it went so well. I can't believe they couldnt give you an IV. That is crazy. You would think after all the babies they have delivered they have had lots of practice. You look so amazing too by the way! Yay to having another baby! Girls are so much fun!!!
She is so adorable. You look great after having a baby. I looked terrible. I am glad everything went well.
Congrats! She is so Beautiful! I hope all goes well with the recovery. Aislie is so excited to meet her.
So much for your August baby. :) She almost made it. Now the girls can just share the month. Jen you are an amazing woman, doesn't sound like being pregnant or being in labor affects you like other women. Congrats on your beautiful girl! She looks like a Wells baby for sure! I love the name too. I hope your recovery is well and that things continue to be so good for you! Miss you lots!
Congrats! She's a cutie! My first thought with the pictures was she looks a little like Makala's kids when she is asleep.
I'm glad everything went so well. Strong woman! I'm too chicken to go without an epidural. Good job/
You are absolutely amazing. P.S. I've never looked half as good just after labor and in a hospital gown! I had to laugh at your comment to the anesthesiologist, that is so unlike you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets a little ornery when in labor :) Congratulations, love you guys!
Awwww...Jennifer she is adorable! I am so sorry about that stupid IV and I give you mad props for not getting an epidural. You look way too good in these pictures to just have had a baby (especially naturally).
Please call me and let me watch Hayden or bring you dinner. If you don't call me then I will give you a few more days and then I'll call you. =)
Congratulations!
What a cute baby! Jenn, you looked so good before and after. If only that was the case for me. :) Congrats, we are so happy for you guys!
Congratulations!! She is beautiful! And I can't believe how good you look too! It sounds like an almost effortless delivery, so way to go :) Hope you're recovering well, too.
Post a Comment