My Thanksgiving post is a little behind, but my entire post is more about thanks giving rather than the actual holiday. This Thanksgiving holiday I have felt special gratitude for:
-A good husband. Dax's birthday always falls during Thanksgiving week. I don't know why, but during his birthday I feel especially grateful for the previous year that I got to spend with him and for all that he does for our family. He has been gone for work since Tuesday morning (he comes home tomorrow night), and I feel like I can barely hold things together until he gets home. He holds us all together, and we all need him terribly.
-My kids. I can't imagine my life without them. Kids bring a new level of happiness and joy to my life that I didn't know was possible. I was just reading through some old posts that I wrote when Hayden and Kyra were just born and I am amazed at how much they have grown. I am so grateful that I get to stay home so I don't have to miss these precious years.
-My family (by 'my' I mean both Dax's and my family). I couldn't have married into a better family that teaches me so many things. They are so selfless and giving. I am grateful for the family that I grew up in, for the wonderful childhood memories that I have. I am grateful that we get to see family members more than once or twice a year.
-A doctor telling me that Hayden does not have a broken forearm. I went to my Mother's house last night and Hayden slipped while going up the stairs and fell on his arm. I have never seen him cry so much, nor protect an injury so. I decided to let him "sleep on it" to see if it felt better in the morning. He woke up crying that he couldn't get out of bed because his arm hurt, and cried all morning whenever I wanted to touch it or even talk about it. He held it close to his body all morning. Finally I decided I better take him in (I pay for special visits like this one out of pocket, hence my hesitancy). After the x-rays they decided there probably isn't a fracture. The doctor saw a tiny dark line when he zoomed in a ton on the x-ray, but he couldn't be sure it meant anything. He gave Hayden a stiff brace and some ace wrap and told us to keep it wrapped up for at least the better part of a week. After Hayden got the wrap on he finally relaxed his arm away from his body. I don't know if the pressure and stabilization helped with the pain, but he has seemed better and better every hour since then. I was actually hoping for a more mild Hayden for at least a few days, but he has already tried wrestling Kyra and wanted to play swords with me.
-L.A. Awesome cleaner from the dollar store. It took bright pink nail polish out of my carpet! Hayden and Kyra dumped a whole bottle out on my bathroom and bedroom floors-thankfully mainly the bathroom floor. Part of our conversation about the incident:
Me: Hayden, you know it is NOT ok to dump things out, especially something like mommy's nail polish, it made a big mess that is hard to clean up.
Hayden: Mom, you shouldn't have left it where I could find it. It was not a good idea.
-Dermatologists. Turns out the bumps on the back of my upper arms and legs are not due to the skin's lack of exfoliation (what I was told by a doctor when I was in high school). I have a mild case of eczema (who knew red bumps were a form of it?). The treatment is gentle soap, minimal scrubbing and lots of lotion. Nearly the opposite of what a doctor told me 10 years ago, and thus what I've been doing for 10 years.
-The fact that I have been writing on this blog for so long. I haven't written in a journal more than 3 or 4 times a year for a long time. It is so nice to look back and read posts like a journal and remember: activities, feelings, and thoughts. Basically it is nice to remember my life. I am amazed at how quickly I forget things I thought were emblazoned in my memory.
I am grateful for many other things, but it is 9:20 and I am dead tired and want a long night's sleep.


0 comments:
Post a Comment