Monday, November 19, 2012

Room for Improvement

Yesterday was our primary program.  I had been looking forward to it for weeks, and had prepped Hayden about what to expect, encouraged him, and he had memorized his part by heart.  I practiced the songs with him and he knew them all.  When it was 'go time' Hayden decided he couldn't do it.  He didn't even want to walk up there!  I tried to nudge him along, but he ended up crying so I took him out.  He just kept saying that he didn't want to do it, and he was so distraught; I was blown away.  We came back in just in time for him to whisper his part as I told it to him, even though he knew it.  I offered to stay on the stand with him if he would sing and participate.  After he whined for 2 or 3 minutes I took him down because I didn't want him to be a distraction.  With 4 songs left he finally decided he wanted to do it so we went up again and he sang some of the time. When it was all over I was exhausted and frustrated, and when people came to offer encouragement I tried to fight back tears. 

How uncharacteristic of my Hayden.  He went to the practice the day before on his own and did just fine.  He has never been one to be shy or intimidated.  I just kept thinking, "Where is this coming from?"  I don't know that I will ever understand.  I do know that he is just barely 4 and I can't expect him to have done any better his first time around.  I have room for improvement as well.  I want him to remember a mother who doesn't try to force him to do things he isn't ready for, but encourages him to keep trying.

Someday we will laugh as we tell some petrified mother of a 4-year-old that it will get better, and that believe it or not our strapping young man was once that same 4-year-old.  Someday.

3 comments:

Justin and Michelle Klingler said...

Crowds are scary! You're a good mom with a good boy!! If he learned it, it's in his heart and that's the whole point. Having said that-I TOTALLY get where you're coming from! Sorry it was frustrating. Your kids are so cute. Love your babies cheeks!! And way cute family pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Both my older two have gone through that and my younger two probably will as well. They have both outgrown it so there is hope. It frustrates me as well though, I don't get it. Then I have to remind myself that I was shy and refused to do a lot at an older age than my kids are.

Tina Braegger said...

Aw! He will get better. At least you don't have my kid. Painfully shy, it is rough sometimes :)

Btw I just LOVE your family pics! You guys look so happy! I can't believe you have 3 kids. I remember talking before we had kids if we were even going to have any. Haha!