Friday, June 7, 2013

Birds

Yesterday I was in my room and heard Hayden and Kyra come up the stairs.  I heard Kyra exclaim, "Baby birds!"  I walked in to their room to discover Hayden holding a birds nest, WITH BABY BIRDS IN IT.  They were so brand new that there was one egg that had yet to hatch.  I have never seen baby birds so tiny.  I repressed the urge to freak out and tried to calmly explain that when we touch the nest and the baby birds the mama probably won't come back and the birds will die. 

At first Hayden tried to convince me he could take care of them.  I didn't remind him that he has a hard time feeding the 9 chickens we already have.

We carefully put the nest back in the bush that Hayden took it from.  I felt a twinge of guilt, seeing such helpless babies.  Then I looked at my strawberry bed, and the guilt was swept away.  The little devils have been eating my berries. 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll have to ask Dax about the time we attempted to raise baby robin's. Long story short, we bloated all six of them, oops.