Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Memorial Day and Beyond

I have been a little big slacker on the blog lately.  I need to get with the program, mainly because my kids love looking back at the pictures, and I look back and think, "huh, that happened?"  Someday I know they will love to read about the adventures of their childhoods.  At least I hope so.

Memorial Day we stayed in Moses Lake for the first time ever.  Dax posted flags in the morning with the young men.  We after lunch we headed to the sand dunes for a monster truck show.  It was...a different crowd than I am accustomed to having my children around.  Thankfully alcohol is against the law out there, so I didn't have to explain to my kids reasons for people doing crazy things.  They call alcohol "the drink that makes you dizzy and act weird, and it's not good."  I didn't realize how loud the monster trucks would be.  We are talking like my ears were hurting.  Thank goodness Dax thought to bring ear protection for the kids.  We were the only parents I saw who busted out the ear protection when the monster trucks came out.  We are cool like that.



 The kids were the most excited about getting french fries at a restaurant when it was all over.  They are a big deal around our house.  I don't even remember what we did for the rest of the day, sad I know.  Dax took flags down in the evening.  I am so grateful to those who gave their lives so that our country can be free!  I hope Americans can do their part in this day to continue those freedoms.  People these days seem to want less freedom and more dependence (bondage).  They want the government to do everything.  Sad.  Why should someone be entitled to receive a cell phone from the government??  I shouldn't go down that road in this post.  Moving on...

Strawberry season!  Oh how I have waited for this time, since I put those dead looking little starts in the ground last year.  It has been so nice.  The birds got quite a few, but luckily there were tons so I didn't miss them.  No time to build a net system this year.  Next year maybe?  No promises.  I was so excited when it rained for days...until I went to pick strawberries.  It ruined the majority of a picking, and half of the next.  Plants and soil that are constantly wet equals bad news for strawberries.  I had no idea!  Looking on the bright side, it was nice not to have to water the rest of the garden for 2 weeks.  I love strawberries, but I am ready to not have to spend 7 hours picking them.  I will miss a big bowl of strawberries in my fridge and fresh strawberries at every meal.

We have been letting the chickens out in the yard to roam and eat bugs, but they have taken a liking for the few raspberries I have.  Needless to say their roaming privileges have been revoked. 

The garden is coming along.  It seems so hard to get out and get it weeded, but we cranked it out in 2 hours for FHE a couple of weeks ago.  It needs to be weeded badly again.  The sugar snap peas are on!  I picked a gallon bag the other day.  They are divine.  I love using produce from the garden for meals. 

Kyra is a growin' girl.  She has grown nearly 5 inches since her birthday in September.  She told me nearly once a day for a month that her legs hurt.  It took me 2 weeks to realize it was growing pains.  She has been falling asleep at like 5:30 on random days as well.  I am amazed that she is growing with how little she eats.

I took the kids to the movie theater to see "Escape Planet Earth."  The theater does free movies during the summer in the morning.  The kids loved it.  Haley took Taylee for us and we took Kyree.
 

As I type the kids closets are emptied.  We are doing customized closets this weekend.  I should take a before and after photo of them.  I am so excited to put in bars that are low enough that the kids can actually reach!  Meanwhile, the kids rooms look like the closets threw up on them.  At least it is temporary. 

0 comments: