Thursday, May 15, 2014

Day 2-Exploration

THURSDAY MAY 1st

We slept in until about 9.  I don't remember the last time that happened for both of us!  Breakfast at the resort was always a choice between the two buffet restaurants, El Mercado and La Brisas.  One in a building with glass windows, and the other enclosed with netting so you always feel the air.  Tons of great breakfast options:  endless fruit, a cook making fried eggs or omelets to order, breads, meats, cheese, eggs, pancakes, waffles, a few authentic mexican breakfast items, oatmeal, yogurt, you name it and it was there.

After breakfast we explored the resort and the beach.  The resort was oceanfront, with was so nice.  We took a kayak out.  We rented the bicycles and rode around the area a little bit.  Our resort was contained within a private "community" called Puerto Aventuras.  To get in from the highway you have to pass through security, and then our resort was about 3/4 of a mile down the road.

We discovered Dolphin Discovery on our bike ride and watched some dolphin interactions.  We saw lots of new creatures:  pelicans, iguanas, and a strange animal we decided to call a rat pig.

The buffets were the option for lunch, and if you weren't eating at an a la cart restaurant you ate there for dinner as well.  Our stay included 5 dinners at the a la cart restaurants, so we had 4 dinners at the buffet.  All of the food and selection was wonderful.  The 4 restaurants were Mexican, Italian, Japanese, and a steak type restaurant.

Getting in the ocean for the first time was amazing!  Warm ocean water is fabulous.  We decided we could just stay and float in the waves all day, it was that nice.  After a swim and a trip to the fresh juice shack called Ma Loo, we took a little siesta in the hammocks.  I am in love with them by the way, and am dying for Dax to hang the one we brought back.

We got ready and ate dinner at the Mexican restaurant.  Yum!

Standing on the side of the main lobby that leads to the rest of the resort

 The resort had a rocky peninsula that stuck out into the ocean that we explored.

 This is actually a view of our neighboring resort.
 A view back at our resort.

 I loved all of the exotic plants they had growing on the grounds.
 Pelicans we saw while exploring Puerto Aventuras
 So excited to see this guy, and then we soon learned that iguanas are EVERYWHERE down there.  This picture accurately demonstrates why short hair wouldn't work for me in humidity.
 Sipping a natural smoothie at Ma Loo's looking out at the ocean.
 The rat pig.  We had several on the resort roaming around.  I should look up the technical name.
  You can't see it well but there is a cool hanging dragon.  The grass roofs were so cool, I could stare at how big they were for hours.

 I tried to correct the red eye 3 times, and for some reason it isn't picking it up well. 

My favorite quote from the day was when we were meeting with our shuttle service to arrange transport back to the airport after our stay. The man, Pedro, when asking the nature of our stay, said, "You have been married for 8 years?  What, did you get married when you were kids?"  I didn't feel like a kid at the time, but looking back I feel like I was.  And I love the fact that we "grew up" together.

1 comments:

Lindsay said...

1. I'm so glad you guys got to go on a vacation just the two of you! What fun memories!
2. Your hair looks sooo cute!
3. Can I please have your body?!