Friday we left the resort for the first time. We had a tour service pick us up for a dual tour of Tulum and Coba, two mayan ruins. We started out at Tulum. It was quite the walk to the ruins from where we had to park the shuttle bus. Once inside the walled city the tour guide gave a bit of brief information about Tulum and then we explored the site ourselves. I was thinking it would be bigger, but I have no idea why I would think that The fact that the sun rises exactly through the temple window on the summer solstice was really cool.
By one of the holes in the wall to the city.
We were told the people of Tulum channeled the rainwater into this well. I still need to look up if that is accurate.
Looking up to El Castillo
With the bulk of the preserved buildings behind me
Right around this time it started to get a little warm-ish...hence the rolled up sleeves.
Obviously we were still newbies to the area on day 3 because we were still taking pictures of iguanas. :) I nearly stepped on one at Tulum, they are everywhere!
Walking through the hole in the wall.
Talk about ocean front property!
After Tulum we went to Paradisio Beach to swim for an hour before heading to lunch. The sand and water were fabulous!
Our first truly authentic Mexican meal. Y-U-M.
Outside the restaurant
After lunch we drove to Coba. I really enjoyed Coba, and we were told that it was one of the largest Mayan cities population-wise (they estimate 50,000) and there are over 6,000 structures at the archeological site, although most are not for viewing. All of the ruins are separated by a lot of jungle. From the spot of this initial picture there were people waiting that you could pay to bike you around the ruins or you could rent your own bike,
We were told that the losers of the ball game had their heads chopped off and put on these steps with the symbols, but I think it is a bunch of bologna. I will get into a little more detail about that when I write about our last day.
One side of the ball court at Coba. Very interesting set up, where the spectators can watch from above.
At the top of the temple at Coba. 120 steps, 137 feet, the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan Peninsula! It also happens to be the only one you can still climb. :)
The door to the inside of the temple. You can't see much when you look in. What possibly looks like an alter, but not much else.
You can see FOREVER off into the jungle from up there.
The climb. I am that tiny little speck in the top left.
When the guy taking the picture found out that we were celebrating our 8th anniversary with this trip he offered to take a picture of us on the 8th step up. Unfortunately he missed the first step. :)
Our "jaunt" through the jungle road. Everyone else on our tour rented a bike or paid to have someone bike them. It is about a mile walk to get to the main pyramid from the entrance. I am too cheap, so we speed walked our way around. We were just as fast as most of them. Go us!
We got back in time to take a dip in the ocean, shower, and eat at the buffet before crashing for the night.

0 comments:
Post a Comment