Saturday, October 25, 2008

Good Baby

Well...we made it through the first week on our own and we are still alive! Actually, we have nothing to complain about. Hayden is such a good baby. He sleeps 4-5 hours at night, wakes up around 2-3, eats, and then sleeps until about 5:30 or 6. So yes I'm sleep deprived, but I'm sure it could be much worse. I think Heavenly Father knew that we needed a sweet baby, because Dax and I are both full time students right now (spare me the "you are crazy" comments...I've heard it a million times). Our mornings are always hectic, as Dax and I run from class to home to switch off so the other person can go to class, but besides mornings it's usually just Hayden and I at home so Dax and get some studying done. He is frustrated that his grades are worse than mine right now, and I keep telling him I don't know what to do...I'm the one who is home all day. :)




Dax is such a good Dad. I love to see him interact with Hayden, and it's fun to see him be so gentle. I can't complain about the help he's been either. He changes at least 2 diapers a day. After I feed the baby at 5:30 or 6 Dax will take him for an hour so I can get some sleep, it's so nice. I am so thankful for Dax and his willingness to help take care of the baby!

I didn't realize that having a little boy would be so tricky! When I take his diaper off, it's like his cue to have a bowel movement and urinate! After changing his clothes 4 times the other day I finally told him that he was stuck in a diaper and blanket until Dad got home to give him a bath. We're working on trying to put a blanket in the way so that he doesn't get his clothes wet, but most of the time he manages to do it anyway. He has a bowel movement 90% of the time when I change him, which is why I'm sure I deal with more "accidents" because I can't put the new diaper on him until he's clean (hence why I've tried a blanket). All you moms with boys, I'd love to hear any advice! Jodi told me they outgrow it quickly, hopefully that is true for him.

Our little boy isn't even quite three weeks old, but life without him is starting to seem so far away. It already seems like we've had him much longer. He is becoming much more alert to us and to things around him, it is so cute to watch. Sometimes we just sit and stare at him and think about how cute he is and how much we love him.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well personally I think you are amazing for being able to take care of a newborn and go to school full time. But I think you are smart for doing it because it would only get harder if you waited. I am so grateful I finished when I did or I never would have finished. So good luck and it will be so worth it in the end. As far as the peeing and pooping thing they do outgrow it and yes boys are worse than girls. I think Kyla peed on me once and Hunter numerous times.

Abe n Linz said...

It looks like life is working out well for you. Handsome boy!

Phil and Holly said...

Bruin did that a lot in the beginning too, except he seemed to always do it while eating and it would soak through his clothes onto me. I started having to always put a blanket between me and him anytime he was sitting on me haha. For Hayden you could try doing the pee test by when you open up the dirty diaper, blow on him down there and then cover it back up. Sometimes the cold air will make him pee then and it goes into the diaper instead of on you :)
Good luck and congrats on a sleepy baby :)

Holly

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad everything is going well for you guys! He is beautiful Jen! And yes, boys are terrible at relieving themselves as soon as you change their diaper. But yeah, they outgrow it. Not too many tips, I just always tried to have the next clean diaper over him, waiting before I fully removed the dirty one...nothing solves it completely though :). You just end up with a lot of laundry every day haha.

Andersen said...

Your baby is so gorgeous! Oh boys aren't they sweet? Max wouldn't ever pee on me, he would do it on the wall. I just had to cover him with the new diaper in front, while I was cleaning the back. But that didn't stop him from doing whatever he needed to do. Give it a couple weeks though. Great job on the beautiful baby!

Mak Attack said...

I'm so glad you have a blog so we can see your family. I remember with Talmage he filled 8 diapers in an hour one Sunday and with Bryant, I was constantly changing his bedding. So, with Sariah I got more crib sheets and then I never needed them. Just boy joys.

Samantha said...

Sounds like you are enjoying your little one. He sounds like he keeps you pretty busy Jen. I love it when Josh takes care of Libby, it so cute how guys just seem to melt with cute little babies. I think Hayden looks like you in that second pic and Dax in the third...so adorable!!

Lauren and Josh said...

He is sooooo cute! he looks alot like Gable to me in some of the pictures. sounds like things are going well. did you have a baby shower up there? we still want to get you something so let us know.