We were out at my aunt's house last night, and she just happened to have a baby scale (her biggest baby was just over 5 lbs, and she had 8 kids so a scale came in handy for all the weigh-ins she had to do), so we decided to weigh Hayden to see how he was doing. To our great surprise, he weighed 9 lbs 6.5 oz! This is amazing for 2 reasons. First, at his 3 day appointment he had dropped to 6 lbs 15 oz, so he's gained quite a bit of weight. Second, he's had troubles latching on because he sucks on his tongue which pulls in his lower lip. It looks so cute, but because of it we're still using a nipple shield, which usually makes it harder for the baby to get enough milk (so they say). Needless to say his weight was something that I've been worried about, but we were grateful that he's gaining so well. The funny thing is, he'll be 4 weeks on Monday, and he weighs about what I weighed at birth (I was 9 lbs 6 oz).


My aunt was also gracious enough to loan me her double breast pump. I had a manual pump that I had been using, and I guess I just assumed that pumping had to be painful, but the electric is so nice! I'm really only ever gone for 1 1/2-2 hours, but Hayden has been eating every hour and a half during the day. By the time I take 30-40 minutes to feed him, I have to start all over again in 40 minutes. I won't complain as long as he's healthy though. He does really well through the night if I get him fed by 9-9:30. If we're lucky he'll start sleeping through the night on his own soon!
Summertime
1 year ago

1 comments:
Thats great Hayden is growing so well! He is so cute. I had to use a nipple shield all along with Nicole, (15 months), and she got enough milk without any trouble. I am excited to see him! Is school still going okay?
Post a Comment