I was just reminiscing about Hayden's life with us so far, and it got me thinking...what am I going to do when I don't get a perfect baby?? Let me explain. Hayden started to sleep through the night on his own when he was 7 weeks old. While I was a full-time student he took a pacifier and bottle perfectly. When he was 6 months old and I began to worry about the day when I would have to wean him from a pacifier, he automatically quit taking it on his own. Whenever I needed to put him on a different schedule, or whenever we transitioned to a new schedule (for example, eliminating a nap), Hayden adjusted without me having to do anything. I always nursed him to sleep, so when I began to wean him at 13 months I worried about him not going to sleep well, but he had no problem with the change. I used to rock him completely to sleep, just because I always wanted to spend extra time with him, but when I decided that it was not a good habit to get him into, he started to WANT to be put down before he was asleep. When it was time for nursery (they go at 16 months in our ward), he didn't even look back at me the first time I dropped him off, and he still loves to go. I have done virtually NO training to this kid (I mean I teach him new things, and help him learn), he has done all of his transitions in life smoothly all on his own. He really is the most laid back child I know. What am I going to do when someday I get a baby who doesn't sleep through the night on their own (I REALLY value my 8 hours), or who won't quit taking a pacifier, or who has colic, or any number of things? Obviously Hayden does cry sometimes and we have other issues that we deal with that come as part of being parents of a 16 month old. But really, I have had it SO GOOD. The scary thing is, I'm sure I don't even know how good I've had it. When I get a baby who doesn't do all of those things on his or her own, obviously I will love him or her just the same, but I will definitely have to learn how to be a parent all over again. Maybe it really is that way with every child? Speaking of my perfect child...he just woke up.
Summertime
1 year ago

6 comments:
Hayden goes to nursery?! Maybe 16 months is the key. We ended up going to nursery almost the entire time with Bryant plus 4 months of Sunbeams. Enjoy your perfect baby!
Man it sounds like Kyla when she was a baby. Lucky for you Hayden is a boy and not a girl so the older she got the more dramatic she has become, which means whining! But every transistion was cake with her. Hunter has been pretty good not as easy as Kyla mainly with the potty training that has been our set back with him, but up until this point he was easy. But now he is naughty and not mellow like you describe Hayden. As for #3 well he is still not sleeping through the night at 4 1/2 months and it could be a little longer still ahhhhhhhh. Other than that he is an excellent child though. So I hope Hayden continues to be an easy child because that is awesome and a huge blessing:)!! I must say whoever is allowing 16 month nursery is brilliant and doing what ever Mother wishes would happen.
Wow.. Sleeping throught the night at 7 weeks. Funny I just read this, I have rocked Warren to sleep too but I'm trying to get him to fall asleep on his own at night when I lay him down and it has been a nightmare these last few nights!! I JUST got him to fall asleep after about 40 minutes of him loosing his binky and crying cuz he doesnt have anything to suck on and waking up... haha. I hope you have all babies like Hayden:)
Funny how every kid is so different. Makes life spicy!
First of all, is this an announcement? :)
Second, Tyler was pretty much the same way. I couldn't have asked for a better baby, but I didn't fully apprecite it until I had Brynlee. I'm sure you will figure everything out with each of your children because really, what other choice do we have as mothers?
Hmm, I agree with your friend Lindsay, is this an announcement? He and Libby have a lot of similarities of being such good babies. I hope it's not because they are our first and that we are just good parents and that the second baby will be just as great! :)
Post a Comment