Monday, January 9, 2012

It's Time

It's time I get serious about organizing my house and making it feel like a home.  The new year is a perfect time to recommit.  After the initial energy it took just to get everything in and in some-what livable condition, I temporarily lost motivation to do anything to the house.  We were actually warned that would happen.  We were counseled to do everything we really needed to before moving in, or else it would get put off. 

My dilemma is that currently we don't have a great amount of inside storage space (ie cabinets, closets, etc).  I'm not looking for long-term storage.  Think sewing supplies, card-making supplies, files, etc.  Things you get out on a regular basis, but you don't want to see all the time.  I need to crack down and go through everything, determine what storage containers I need, and get them.  I hate having things out on the counter.  I like clean, simple, tasteful decorating. You wouldn't know it now, because I have yet to get everything organized.

Good news!  Vard gave us counter stools for Christmas, so Hayden can sit up to the counter to eat snacks and lunch.  He loves it.  The wibbly wobbly table will hopefully be replaced as soon as a friend finishes a new table for his family.  We just "inherited" some free furniture.  Several couches, a coffee table, and end tables.  They are 1970s style(insert mental image of lace-covered lavender sofa).  However, they are free, and we will make do until 1) I find something I want badly enough and 2) we can afford.  Who knows when the two will coincide.  Years probably.  I'm hoping some sewing inclined family members can help me come up with tasteful sofa covers.  We will get rugs soon enough, and my main floor will seem more like a home!

What we are excited about is mapping out the plan for the backyard.  We are REALLY hoping that come spring we can afford to do the sprinklers, grass, and fruit trees.  I can hardly wait.

1 comments:

Abe n Linz said...

It is so hard to the motivation to get things organized and how you want them. I think it's a life long process. Just when you get things functional for that stage of life, things change.
Best of luck. I hope you get lots of motivation!