Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Desire

I feel like I haven't been productive in any way for the last 3 months.  If I could sum them up in one word it would be SURVIVAL.  I'm finally getting some energy and desire back to work on tasks and projects that have been neglected for months. 

Project #1:
Regular preschool activities for Hayden.  I've got to figure out how to get him wanting to write, because right now he has no interest.  We are currently working on recognizing all of the lower case letters.  I decided I just need to be patient with him, because his brain works just like his daddy's, so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't develop the same love of reading that I have.  He is really into puzzles and taking things apart and figuring out what is going on inside.  Maybe I should just find a good curriculum and that would simplify the preschool process.

Project #2:
    Selling and getting rid of all of the extra furniture we have around.  A lady in my parent's ward passed away and we inherited furniture:  3 couches, small rocking chair, a bedroom set, dresser, coffee table, and end tables.  I told Dax to only bring home the couches, and when I got home he had brought everything they didn't want.  I've never been a big one for coffee and end tables, especially with sharp corners.  I'm also a minimalist when it comes to dressers and other furniture in bedrooms.  Basically, I only want to keep the couches, but have a house full of stuff at the moment.  They have been sitting around my house for over a month.  I posted them on craiglist this morning and already sold the dresser!  Hopefully the rest of it goes easily.  I can't complain because it was all free, and I am hoping to use the money to purchase a good used dining set...I've got my eye on one.  We are still using the little square card table. :)
Project #3:
     Spot paint the holes Dax and I filled and hang some pictures.  For crying out loud, it's been over 4 months, and I've hung 2 things!  I'm determined to do it in the next week.  I kept putting it off because I kept thinking I didn't want to hang pictures and then take them down if we decided to paint.  If we decide to paint, I'll just have to hang them back up.  My friend Sarah helped me make a fun wall decoration that I'm dying to hang as soon as I get some ribbon.

Project #4:
   Go through this beautiful piano theory book.  I've decided the only way I'm going to REALLY get better at the piano is to understand theory.  As Carl Czerny said:  Do you ask me how good a player you may become?  Then tell me how much you practice the scales."  It helps to know the scales first.  I don't need or want to become a Mozart, but I would love to be able to look at a hymn and add some harmonic notes without them being written in, know what I mean?
 Project #5:
   Prep the backyard for sprinklers and grass. HOORAY!  This means you can just call me a  rock picker by occupation for the next couple of weeks.  Hayden has to pick up 9 buckets to earn $9 to replace a DVD a broke.
The picture is deceiving...it's a rock bed back there.

0 comments: