Thursday, October 7, 2010

Oh Boy, He's 2!

Hayden turned 2 yesterday. He was opening up his presents at exactly the time he was born (7:57 am) and Dax and I were in amazement at where the two years has gone.

A few things about Hayden:

-He is so sweet. Once I was crying (courtesy of crazy hormones post-partum) and he came to me and said, "Mommy sad" and gave me a big hug.

-He has always been an easy child. He slept through the night before he was 2 months old, RARELY cried, and as soon as he could smile was always, and is, the happiest little guy.

-He is VERY active. He could run around outside on endless energy all day.

-He is such a good eater. He is willing to try anything before saying, "No like it." He even likes REALLY spicy foods and salsas.

-He is becoming so helpful with Kyra. He tries to give her a pacifier, stuffed animals, and loves to help "burp soft."

-He is so big. 36 inches tall and 31.6 lbs as measured at his 2 year appointment.

-He is very social. He loves meeting and playing with new kids at the park, especially those that are older than he is.

-He knows his alphabet and most of the letter sounds. He also is pretty good with colors and counting. He has so many words and will talk your ear off if he feels comfortable with you (he is more quiet in new situations/places). He knows our last name and when I ask him our names he says, "Daddy Wells, Mommy Wells, Haynen(occasionally he will pronounce the D) Wells, and baby Kya (rarely does he say the R) Wells.

-A few of his loves include: reading books, being outside, playing in forts, "big guy" tools, fast cars, trucks, balls, water, bikes, and the movie Cars (one of the few he has actually seen, but he asks for "Lightning McQueen car" often).

Hayden got these pajamas and puppet from his aunt Taneil. When I asked him what he wanted to name the dog and suggested common names (Fido, Sparky, Spot, etc.) he said its name was "Puppy Dog Wells." And so it is. The new sippy cup was also a birthday present, but he found it early. I had to find a sippy without a real spout because he wants to feel like he is drinking like a big person, and always wants the lid off of his sippy cups with spouts. LOTS of spills.

For his birthday Hayden received a tool set, Lightning McQueen shirt, new jeans, and some new plates from us. From Grandma Jensen he got 3 wood puzzles.

He was so excited for his own tools. He is always asking for "Daddy's tools."

I made a large baseball cake and then baseball cupcakes. I made sugar cookies that look like mitts to put under the cupcakes to make it look like a ball in a mitt. I had to buy a 101 piece cookie cutter set (only 10 dollars at Wal-mart) in order to get the hand for the baseball mitt, so I ended up writing 'Happy Birthday Hayden' out of the letters as well. Not the best work, but Hayden recognized it as a baseball cake on his own, which is all that matters. Side note: The frosting NEVER turned red with food coloring, although I added 60 drops to 1/5 of a batch and the instructions said 50 drops should do an entire batch...dark pink was the best we got.

We had cake and ice cream. Those in attendance: Aunt Krystal and Uncle Ben, Uncle Paul, Uncle Kase and his girlfriend Brielle (who Hayden likes more than Kase), Daddy's cousin Kirk Taylor, and friends Anna Craig and her brother Luke and her parents Catherine and Dehn.


Anna is Hayden's best friend. Whenever we talk about friends, Hayden always talks about Anna. For his birthday she gave him a Lightning McQueen race car (in Dinoco blue) that you shake and then races up to 20 ft and says things like "Speed, I am speed." I am sure the batteries will be dead in a few days, he loves it so much.

When Brielle was over one day she and Hayden discovered that the arm rest on the couch can serve as a horse. Brielle bought him a cowboy hat for his birthday so that he can be a true cowboy when he rides the couch. :)


Happy Birthday Hayden, WE LOVE YOU!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Hayden! Great job on the cake, cute mitt idea.

Mak Attack said...

Wow, I'd say you accomplished tons Jen. Glad you all had a fun day together. Pretty amazing that he knows the alphabet and sounds at 2! I wanted to use this background for my blog but opted for pumpkins for obvious reasons. Great minds think alike :)!

Rory and Melissa Peterson said...

Happy Birthday Hayden! He's a smart boy.

(Have you tried the gel food coloring to get red? It works much better than the drops.)

RileyDestry said...

Your kids are sure growing up. Happy birthday, Hayden!

Tina Braegger said...

Happy Birthday Hayden! Seriously?? 2 already!!?? I still remember holding him when he was just a tiny baby and now you guys have another tiny baby! ah time sure flies!