Bad medical drama seems to follow me like a magnet. I took Kyra to the doctor at the beginning of June for a 9-month well-child check/immunizations. My insurance covers these visits 100%. A few days before the visit (which was scheduled 3 months in advance) Kyra received 2nd degree burns on a couple of fingers from the baseboard heater (that Hayden turned on, unbeknownst to me). At the well-child the doctor asked me a few questions about the burns, but I was already treating them, and did not solicit any medical advice, nor did I receive any information I didn't already know. Kyra also had a low grade fever as a result of the burns (my diagnosis). Obviously they discovered this because they took Kyra's temperature at the beginning of the visit. I told the doctor that the fever was probably from the burns, and she confirmed that could be the case and told me to watch her. I knew that.
A couple of weeks ago I got a paper from my insurance stating they were billed for an office visit (NOT covered by my insurance) instead of a well-child. I thought maybe it was a mistake and to be patient to see if I got billed for it. On Saturday a received a bill from the doctor's office for nearly $118 for the service. I called billing on Monday to tell them the situation, and the lady told me she would send it to compliance and get back to me. I talked to her today and she told me that it was because of the "way it was written up" and that it was billed correctly, and that she talked to her manager and I was responsible for the amount. I started to explain to her that I was there for a WELL-CHILD check and just because you find something that is not "well" with the child, you can't suddenly turn it into a regular office visit. She didn't do anything out of the ordinary...they check the child from head-to-toe at a well-child appointment. I told her it is not right to charge someone money just because the doctor takes 1 minute to talk about something that is not "well" with the baby. She wasn't getting it. Finally I said, "So when I go to the doctor I should tell them not to discuss anything with me besides how healthy my baby is, because otherwise I am going to be charged money?" Obviously the lady has no power, and just kept telling me that she already checked with compliance, and the doctor's nurse and that it was written up correctly and I have to pay it.
Although I was fuming I told her as nicely as I could that I would not be paying this bill, that it is not right to charge me because the doctor chooses to ask a few questions about my child concerning something that I already had under control, and that if they sent me to collections that I would gladly take them to court. She told me that I could set up a payment plan for the bill. By this point I was probably close to having steam come out of my ears. I told the lady it is not about $120, I can pay the bill. It is about the principle that it isn't right to charge someone money that they don't owe just because you think you can get them to pay it. Besides, my insurance would happily pay them the money if they would write it up correctly. I asked to speak with her manager.
Twenty minutes later he called me and told me the same thing: he'll send it to compliance, check with the doctor again, but no guarantees. I told him again that if the doctor wrote it up as a well-child then my insurance would pay the allowable amount without any problems.
I hope that they don't make this a hairy deal. If they are just trying to get money then the easiest way to do that is to bill my insurance for a well-child and they will pay them the $118. My seminary teacher called me tenacious; the doctor's office obviously doesn't know that or they would take their money the right way, from the insurance company. I am not paying money I don't rightly owe.
Summertime
1 year ago

2 comments:
I had to deal with a similar situation from when I had crew. It took 5 months to sort out. I had to get a letter written from my doctor stating the error in interpretation, appeal to the insurance company, and then play phone hockey for 5 months. I also called billing every month to tell them my file should have been marked "do not bill, pending" but I still got a bill every month and a statement saying they were going to send me to collections. I also had to re-file my appeal 3 times because somehow it "fell through the cracks" or only part of it was approved. So worth it though. I saved myself $ 5000+. keep at it. Eventually you will get a hold of the right person that knows how to help you out. And write everyone's name down that tells you something.
Way to go! Stick to your guns, that is ridiculous.
Post a Comment