Hayden has been waking up nearly every night for 2 weeks. The result is a dragging mom, because once I come to full consciousness I have a hard time falling asleep again.
The first thing I do when Hayden comes into my room is jump out of bed and check to make sure he's dry...there is a 20% chance that he isn't, and I have to go pull the sheets off the bed and get him situated again. I've found if we go to the bathroom 3 times in the hour before bed we have a lot more success at waking up dry.
If the above scenario doesn't apply, the first thing he usually says is something weird, and I can't figure out what he's talking about. Last night was, "I need my orange thing!" I'm thinking, "Orange thing, what in the world?!?" Imagine me just trying to get my eyes to focus while Hayden is ranting about this orange thing that he needs to have NOW. While trying to wake up and figure out exactly what he is saying, I try to keep him quiet and get him out of our room so Dax isn't completely pulled from sleep. I try to have compassion for Hayden without going overboard with his requests because I don't want to start a habit of him getting whatever he wants in the middle of the night. Usually if I give him his stuffed gorilla and cow he will get in his bed and go back to sleep (odd, because when he was little he had no attachment to stuffed things whatsoever). Sometimes, like last night, he just keeps coming in until I finally let him sleep beside us because my head is pounding so badly. I don't do well when I'm woken up in the middle of the night (unless I have a nursing baby).
I think he just has some very vivid dreams, and has a hard time separating them from reality when he wakes up in the middle of the night (something he would get from me). I have to figure out some sort of way to train him to put himself back to sleep at night because the only person getting enough sleep around here is Kyra.
Summertime
1 year ago


1 comments:
oh man! This sounds familiar plus the nursing baby. No fun being an exhausted mom in the morning!
Post a Comment