Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Seeing Green!

It's official, we have backyard grass!!  Ok, so we also have a ton of backyard weeds, but we can't spray them yet, so it is just part of the deal for a while.  The weeds back by the raspberries are especially out of control.  One thing at a time I guess. 

I planted a few rows of corn and a few rows of beans yesterday.  I hurt so bad by the end, and realized that 33 weeks pregnant is not a good time to be crawling on my hands and knees in the garden.  Dax has been so busy though that if I don't do the watering and the weeding everything out there will die.  We have a few yellow squash growing and I noticed the first little tomato this morning!  The cherries are turning red as well.  I am so excited for them to be ready to eat!  Dax kept trying to tell me that it was probably a rainier cherry tree, and while I would have loved that, I know it has to be a stella cherry tree.  It is basically the only self fertile cherry tree (besides tart cherries).  I am so glad we covered it before the birds got to it.  They would have picked off every last cherry.

Other backyard news:  we have a play set!  Granted, it is not the big wood one with the rock climbing wall I was dreaming of, but the kids love it and it was free.  A guy Dax works with was getting a new one and gave us his. 

The only major projects left in the backyard are putting in\gravel by the shed and valve boxes and pea gravel in the play set area.  And putting in the fire pit.  Eventually we need to have a definite line between the yard and garden.  We'll probably use wood and raise it up just a little bit.  Next year...

0 comments: