Thursday, August 23, 2012

Adaptation

We are slowly but surely adapting to our new life.  A newborn actually isn't as hard as I thought it would be.  Sure it means lots more laundry and being up in the middle of the night, but I think the whole first year is just a slew of tender stages and I cherish all of them.  What I am trying to cherish is the nearly 2 stage.  :)  I sure love Kyra, but she really drives me bonkers sometimes.  She is into everything, and I just can't seem to prevent all of her "explosions" through the house.  Someday I'll laugh about it all, when she brings a boy home and I can embarrass her to pieces, but right now I am trying to find and latch onto any sweet moment I can with her.  The hardest thing with her right now is that she takes off her diaper and poops and then wipes it on anything and everything.  Completely gross?  Try being the sole member of the clean up patrol.  If I am not in the room with her for 2 minutes and she has a bowel movement, guaranteed it is all over everything.  I've tried reasoning, time outs, and yes, even spanking.  Nothing is creating a behavior change.  In a couple of months I want to potty train her, but I can't tackle that right now and frankly I don't think she has the capabilities yet.

Taylee is such a sweet heart.  She doesn't sleep as well as my other two did at this point (sleeping a 5 hour stretch a night) but I know it isn't normal for a 2 week old to sleep that long at night so I'll live until she does. :)  She has Kyra's same look (and Hayden's too I guess) but with red hair.  We'll see if it stays.  She is a pretty noisy sleeper so I am trying to figure out how to get her farther away so I can sleep better, but still have her close enough that I can hear her when she really wakes up.  At her 2 week appointment she weighed 9 lb 6 oz(she weighed 8 lb even at birth) and was 21 inches long.

Moving on to the pictures that melt my heart and help me remember how much I love being a mother...

Kyra just loves to touch her sister
 3 kids!
 Dax set up a tent and camped out back with the older 2 a few days after we brought Taylee home.  The kids loved it.

 Taylee coming home from her 2 week check up.
 Hayden is good to be so soft with the baby.
 Me and the girls.  No idea why I look so sweaty.
 Kyra won't fall asleep most days that I try to put her down, but this day she fell asleep while getting off the couch.
My handiwork.  Look at the rolls on her legs already!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man Brayden was a noisy sleeper! Our room at the time was so small there was nowhere to put him that wasn't right next to our bed so he was in the hallway at night. It made a huge difference, I only woke up when he was truly awake instead of every grunt he made.

It seems like you guys are adjusting well, that's great! I know it sounds mean but one cold shower cured Kyla of peeing her pants on purpose when she was two. It was super quick but made a huge impact. Good luck with that, ashley fought that with Kate for a while. No fun!

Abe n Linz said...

Your previous comment was exactly my same thought. Put the baby in the hallway! Way to be with those rolls! Just like my babies for sure.
I am so sorry about the poop stuff. NO FUN! Cold shower sounds like a good idea since it sounds like nothing else is working. I have also heard of hosing off outside working. Having her "assist" in clean up. Rewards for going in her diaper instead. If you can "catch" or guess when it's about that time maybe just stick her on the toilet with a book/movie/entertainment until she poops and make a big deal about how proud you are of her going in her diaper or the toilet. I got this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZBI03I/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00
and it seems to help Crew sit longer because it's rather comfy.
Best of luck. I can't imagine going through that and having a newborn.