She's here!!
Taylee Mae Wells
August 3, 2012 @ 7:50 PM
8 lbs, 20 inches
After my appointment on Wednesday I was sure I had another week until delivery. Friday morning after I sent Dax off to work I had a little bit of spotting and was feeling a little bit crampy, but I didn't really start contracting so I thought I still had a few days. Just to be safe I took a shower, painted my toe nails, and put the laundry through the wash. Around lunch time I noticed the first few contractions, but I get lots of mild contractions the last month, so I just decided to pay attention to notice if they were getting more painful. Timing contractions does nothing for me, I am so irregular. At 2 I called Dax and told him we should probably go to the hospital. I was positive for Group B strep so my midwife stressed trying to get there early to get both doses in. You are supposed to have the doses 4 hours apart.
On the way to the hospital I asked Dax to stop and get an ice cream cone, trying to kill some time because I still wasn't sure I was in labor and was embarrassed by the thought of being sent home with false labor for my 3rd child. Dax was sure I was in labor and just wanted to get there so I could get all of the antibiotics I needed. However, he graciously stopped to get ice cream for me.
We got to the hospital and after the millions of things they do to check you in (even after you have pre-registered!), they had me put on a gown and checked me. Luckily I was 5 cm dilated, so we stayed. I never look forward to getting an IV, but on the positive side, it only took 15 minutes and 2 tries this time. Last time it took 45 minutes, 3 nurses, and finally 1 anesthesiologist to start my IV. They couldn't get enough blood out of my IV vein so they sent up a phlebotomist to take some blood from the other arm for the lab.
I realized that I have no pictures from the last couple of weeks of
pregnancy, so I asked Dax to snap a picture. Have to love how the
monitors under my gown make it seem like I have triplets in there.
I got the first round of antibiotics and then it seemed like my labor stopped. My contractions slowed down and the baby went to sleep. After an hour and a half they suggested I drink some apple juice to get her jump started again. It worked very quickly. Once she woke up things started progressing quickly, so they decided to put the 2nd round of antibiotics in, 3 hours after the first. The last of it was going into my IV as I was pushing the baby out.
My midwife broke my water when I was 7-8 cm and then things got really painful. She stayed with me from the time she broke my water until Taylee was born 20 minutes later. Those last contractions are so painful. I remembered well what it was like last time, so I was not looking forward to that part this time around. Fortunately it didn't last long. After one good push I asked my midwife if I only had to do one more of those, and she gave me a doubtful look, but said, "probably" to reassure me. Dax said that when I asked that he thought there was no way that baby was coming out in one more push. I took heart at the probably because I knew I was going to lose it soon, so the next contraction I gave a good push and she was here! So glad that part is over.
The first thing my midwife said about her that I remember was, "Look at that red hair!" I love when they put my baby on my stomach and I get that, "Yes! I did it. It was worth this" feeling. I tore AGAIN, which I am pretty bummed about, but we did all we could this time to prevent it, so I must be destined to tear when I give birth. Time will heal it.
First picture
This is the face I must get when I get the, "it was worth it" feeling described above
We had to stay in the hospital for nearly 48 hours to keep a watch on the baby for signs of infection, so we came home early this afternoon. I am so glad to be in my own home. I appreciate what they do in the hospital, but I was ready to NOT have my blood pressure, temperature, and uterus checked every 2 hours, and to have to keep asking someone if I could have medication. Taylee nurses well and sleeps well.
Happy mama and daddy
One photo with all of us looking and with our eyes open, after 5 attempts. We are a family of 5!!
Coming home outfit
Daddy and his newest girl
We are so thankful that she is here and is healthy and perfect. Another miracle from Heavenly Father.









4 comments:
So exciting. You look so great just after having a baby!
what a great surprise! You look amazing and I am glad things went so well, from my side anyway. Sorry you tore that makes recovery longer, but you're right time will heal it :) So excited for you guys. Enjoy her, she will grow up even faster than your others.
Yay yay yay! So exciting! You are a wonder woman! Hope you can get some sleep, but I am sure you are a pro now. Haha
Congratulations! She's perfect!
Post a Comment