Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tax Wisdom

This year will probably be the last year of our lives that tax time is a really exciting time. Bittersweet moment. We spent 2 hours last night pounding out our return (thanks Ben G. for answering our questions). The best money we'll ever make in 2 hours. We used Turbo Tax "free edition." A word to the wise, don't go through the actual Turbo Tax website to use their free edition, go through the IRS. We went along the entire time ignoring the offers to upgrade from the free edition to an advanced version, only to get slapped a 30 dollar fee at the end, courtesy of having to file taxes in Utah. By that point we had spent nearly 2 hours on our taxes and were not about to scrap it and start over from another website. I thought it was shady that we went through the entire return process and only on the page before the confirmation page were we told about the fees. Oh well, hopefully you can learn from our mistake. One last cheer for tax time from someone who will not look forward to it this much ever again!

3 comments:

Rory and Melissa Peterson said...

I know how you feel. I think this will be our last year with a big tax return. :(

*~McGarys~* said...

We never do are own. We found a guy here in tri-cities and it's about $50 for him to do it. But at least it's done and now just wait for your money:) lol

Jon, Julee, Maddie, & Dane said...

I think its wise to do your own taxes with Turbo Tax's free edition unless you plan to itemize or if you've bought a home. As far as Utah filing, if you ever have to do it again you go through the Utah State Tax Commission website and you won't have to pay at all and they send the efile. I actually already got my return. I learned this the hard way after filing for 3 years in multiple states. But at least you didn't have to PAY Utah, we had to do that after living there only 6 months. Filing took me much longer than 2 hours so maybe it was worth the cost.