Today I had to run errands, so I told Hayden we could return library books and borrow more. I love the weekly library experience for kids, but with my kids being the ages they are, and as active as they are, I still cringe a little bit when I think about taking them to a place like the library. Especially our library. NO carpet anywhere, only linoleum floors. The first part of our trip seemed successful. We returned and found new books relatively unscathed. Then, in the middle of the check out process it dawns on me: I LOCKED MY KEYS IN MY CAR.
Under normal circumstances this would be a minor set back, as I know enough people that I could call to come and rescue us and take me out to Dax's work to go pick up his key to the car. The catch: TODAY I HAVE NO PHONE. I ran ours through the washer over the weekend, and in fact my other errands had been to go to Wal-mart to get a go-phone and to the AT&T store to get a new sim card(which they don't charge for, luckily). My new sim card wasn't even activated yet, so I couldn't use it, and it was locked in the car, AND it would have had no numbers in it if it had worked anyway. But at least I wouldn't have had to ask the library to borrow their phone.
Luckily for me I had Dax's work number memorized, so I called him using the library's phone. No answer. I had to leave a message and pray he would get it soon. An hour is spent between story time(a story on its own), letting Hayden use my 30 allotted minutes on the internet playing on PBS kids, and reading to the kids. My kids will normally sit and beg me to read to them for 30 minutes or more. Take away soft chairs (they only have "school style" at our library), and a quiet setting and they didn't even last one book.
I try Dax again, with no luck. He can't even call me back to tell me he got my message and is on the way, so I just keep hoping he will walk in any minute. The next 45 minutes are spent trying to contain my kids and keep myself from crying. The moment Dax walked in the door all of my pent up emotions surged to the surface. I managed to hold it in until we were at least outside the library doors. Dax was so patient and told me not to worry about it, and that it wasn't a big deal.
When the ordeal was over and I emailed my Mom to activate the new sim card (I am on my parent's plan) she emailed back and said, "Sounds like if you didn't have bad luck you would have no luck at all. You will look back on this day and laugh." I love how my Mom just takes things in stride. I am just glad this happened while I am still pregnant and not when I have a nursing baby who wants to eat all the time. :)
I came home and neglected everything else I wanted to get done in the afternoon. I took a nap.
Summertime
1 year ago

1 comments:
Hi Jennifer. I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. Last fall, on an errand to go find my lost phone, I locked Josh in the car with my keys, and it took a very generous stranger in the parking lot, a hook and ladder truck (complete with four very soothing fireman), a maintenance repair man and a tow truck to get our door open. But we also all survived :-) Thanks for telling your story.
Post a Comment