Painting my toenails for the first time in 4 months made me think of my before-baby life.
Then: toenails were always painted, except on the rare day I gave them some sunlight. Feet and hands were pumiced and lotioned and soft. Now: toenails are painted once every 5-6 months, and my feet are calloused and dry.
Then: I showered every day. Even if I didn't wash my hair everyday, my body got a shower. Now: My body and my hair get washed every two days...sometimes three.
Then: I applied lotion every time I showered. Now: My body gets lotion when I finally notice how dry it is because it starts to crack or itch.
Then: I took the time to do my hair nicely on most days of the week. Now: My hair gets done when there is an outing to go to, and sometimes even then it is a ponytail.
Then: I semi-regularly updated my wardrobe. Now: I haven't updated my closet since I can't remember when (unless you count switching out regular clothes for maternity clothes...)
Moral of my life assessment pre-baby and post-baby? I need to do something with myself! If for no other reason than for Dax. Yes, it will never be the same as it was before I had kids...my priorities are different and thus my time is devoted to other things. However, imagine being a married man and after you have kids your wife stops taking the time to look good for you. I know how I would feel if Dax gained 50 lbs, never dressed up and occasionally showered and shaved. JIPPED!
This is the part where I commit to change. Even if I don't shower every day, I need to take 10 minutes and get dressed, wash my face, and put some mascara and concealer on. Maybe it won't happen every day...some days are just crazy. However, it should happen most days. There is something to be said for doing something with your appearance. Even doing a few small things with myself completely changes my confidence and self-esteem. I know resolutions are normally made in January, but better late than never. Here's to a Jennifer who looks put together on "regular days."
Monday, April 16, 2012
THEN and NOW
Posted by Dax and Jen at 7:41 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
This is so true. it is crazy how fast our priorities change. I know I feel better when I take the time to get ready. It just doesn't happen all the time. :-) Good luck on your commitment to do better!
Loved this post!
Post a Comment