We've been working on colors and letters with Hayden recently, and I've actually been surprised at how quickly he has picked them up. He can consistently get all of his letters right except E, G, N, U, and sometimes V. He is also getting pretty good with his colors. He knows orange, yellow, blue, purple, light blue, lime green (we have blocks that color). The colors I have been struggling to teach him are red and green. I can hold up a green block and a red block and he will say either green or red, randomly, depending on when I ask him. At stop lights we show him the light and ask him if it is green or red and he can't seem to get that down either. It wasn't until yesterday when we were building with his blocks and going over colors that I realized something. I held up a red and green block and went over the two with him for about 5 minutes, still with no progress. Then it hit me...I'm pretty sure my son has red/green color blindness. I'm about 85% sure on it, obviously time will definitely tell as to whether or not he does have it. I have been doing some research on it though, and from all the other colors he knows his particular type of color blindness is very mild, luckily. I'm now learning that if he really can't see a difference between red and green that there is no point in reiterating those colors over and over and no point in correcting him every time he calls green red or red green. My grandpa has red/green color blindness and it is a genetic and sex linked trait.
Dax and I were talking about how it is amazing how defensive you feel at your child's weaknesses, and how much harder it would be if your child had a major struggle in life. As a parent, you view your child as perfect the way they are, and you want the rest of the world to view them that way as well. I imagine that that is how Heavenly Father views us, and hopes that we will view each other in the same way that he sees us.
Summertime
1 year ago

2 comments:
What a good mom you are teaching your child! I thought color blindness as well. Way to be on top of things.
That is so funny I thought the same thing about maxten the other day. He knows all his color but red. I wonder if it is more a development stage. That red is one of the color that is harder for the eyes to see. Maybe the eyes need develop a little more. I know it's crazy or really maybe they are both slightly color blind.
Post a Comment